Below are some of the successful outcomes we have achieved for our clients. Each of these matters was handled by an attorney at McCullough Khan. We pride ourselves on the level of dedication and attention to detail we provide to our clients to reach the best possible result. We are passionate about our clients and their causes.
Serious Personal Injury
read more [+]
- December 2014 - Obtained a $4,005,125.00 jury verdict in Charleston County against a national parking systems company for negligence. Our client was severely injured in a parking lot managed, operated and controlled by the company due to substandard lighting conditions and a latent defect. Read more about this case.
- October 2013 - Obtained a $13,632,886.45 judgment against the general partner of an apartment complex owner in the Charleston area for a family of four injured by mold inhalation. The judgment was promptly settled in May of 2014 for a confidential amount which was very favorable for our clients. Read more about this case.
- Reached a $3,000,000 settlement for an individual who was severely injured as a result of a fall caused by a loose stair tread at a local hotel. The plaintiff suffered a significant back injury and developed a painful nerve condition.
- Obtained an approximately $1,450,000 settlement for a plaintiff that suffered severe burns over his arms, legs, hands, and torso due to a propane tank explosion.
- Reached a mid-six figure settlement for a retired Marine who was involved in a motor vehicle accident. We were able to show that our plaintiff suffered a traumatic brain injury even though it was a low impact collision.
- Participated in a multi-million dollar pre-suit negotiation involving a severely injured factory worker / driver.
- Successfully litigated a wrongful death/survival action arising out of a motor vehicle accident involving a car that caught on fire. Obtained a mid-six figure settlement for the family of the deceased accident victim.
- Reached a mid-six figure settlement for a plaintiff who suffered a back injury when a loose stair tread caused her to fall down a flight of stairs. Again, we were able to successfully quantify our client’s pain and suffering.
- Obtained a mid-six figure settlement for a plaintiff involved in an 18 wheel truck wreck.
- Successfully resolved a negligent supervision/bullying case.
- Successfully litigated to a jury verdict a liquor liability suit involving a severe automobile accident involving four high school students.
read more [+]
- July 2016 – Obtained a $6,424,811.30 class action settlement against Berkeley County in an impact fee refund lawsuit. The class consisted of approximately 4,200 property owners in Berkeley County, including both residential and commercial properties. Each eligible class member received a check. The suit alleged refunds were due because the County failed to timely spend the fees it collected from developers on specific highway improvements. Read more about this case.
- Represented local, regional, national and worldwide creditors in the successful litigation of millions of dollars of collection actions resulting in judgments and commercial foreclosures, as well as successfully defending the same creditors on counterclaims and defenses ranging from fraud, unfair trade practices, predatory lending and breach of contract.
- Confidential settlement for an individual suing a local spirits manufacturer based on an employment claim, business tort, and a trademark claim. We were able to effectively use experts to examine financial information and project future earnings.
- Arbitrated a multi-million dollar breach of contract claim between a local paint retailer and a multi-national paint manufacturer.
- Successfully tried to verdict an insurance coverage case in Federal Court where the Court declared the applicable insurance coverages were triggered by the underlying claims.
- Received a successful jury verdict on behalf of a local watersports company on a breach of contract claim.
- Received a multi-million dollar default judgment on behalf of a local home owners’ association against the developer of a downtown condo-hotel.
- Negotiated a mid-six figure settlement with the Department of Transportation on a takings claim arising out of the widening of Highway 17 in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina.
- Represented a private landowner disputing a permit approval from OCRM through every appeal level up to the SC Supreme Court where we received a successful outcome.
- Litigated a multi-national trademark dispute and reached a successful resolution.
- Successfully tried to verdict a breach of contract claim arising out of a construction contract on a development.
- Successfully tried to verdict a covenant enforcement case on behalf of Kiawah Island Community Association.
- Managed a wide variety of bank claims, work outs, business tort cases, breach of contract claims, and securities claims.
- Directed numerous administrative appeals involving tax valuations, environmental permit approvals, and related matters.
- Successful representation of numerous clients involving insurance bad faith claims.
read more [+]
- Reached a $1,600,000 settlement for a development in Bluffton against the site work contractor. The development was experiencing sinkholes throughout the neighborhood and golf course.
- Settled a claim for $1,550,000 on behalf of a Kiawah condominium regime for construction defects.
- Settled (after the start of trial) a claim for approximately $500,000 for a Kiawah condominium regime for a flood caused by a plumbing contractor.
- Resolved numerous six-figure construction defect claims.
- Represented numerous property owners and regimes in a variety of construction related claims.
Real Property Litigation
read more [+]
- Successfully represented a horizontal property regime (condo association) on Daniel Island in achieving a declaratory judgment that the regime owners actually held title to adjacent property that was initially severed by a previous foreclosure. The property rights were restored in favor of the regime owners at summary judgment.
- Multiple successful appeals of Department of Health and Environmental Control permits ranging from dock permitting, critical area permitting, solid waste and landfill permitting.
- Represented a local non-profit in negotiations regarding the use of property being developed.
- Represented a regional developer on discussions with local government concerning Tax Increment Financing arrangements.
read more [+]
- Successfully challenged a county’s attempt to circumvent its own zoning laws in order to expand its own landfill.
- Represented the Town of Rockville before the Supreme Court of South Carolina in a case involving the question of whether the Town had the authority to regulate dock location and design standards
- Worked with the Historic Charleston Foundation on the regulation of cruise ship activities.
- Worked with a homeowners association in opposing the rezoning of the neighboring parcel.
- Zoning appeals of various degrees and complications
Disclaimer: The cases listed above represent some of the settlements and verdicts obtained by or with the help of Clayton B. McCullough and Jamie A. Khan. Some of these settlements and verdicts were obtained while they were employed with other firms. The settlements and verdicts shown here should not be considered as a description or characterization of the quality of the firm's representation and in no way should be interpreted as a guarantee of a specific result or outcome of any particular case. As such, the reader should not rely on these representative cases to develop any expectation regarding the value of his or her case. The facts and circumstances of every case are different and the outcome of any case can depend on a variety of different factors.